Liposuction, Liposculpting and Lipoetching in NYC
What is liposuction?
Liposuction, lipoetching and liposculpting are basically one and the same procedure in which fat is removed from the body by means of thin tubes or cannulas, which are in turn attached to a vacuum-creating device by means of tubing. In Lipoetching the cannulas are considerably thinner for more precision and control. Lipoetching shows the true artistic affinity of the Plastic Surgeon performing the procedure. Why is it that some people need liposuction?
A person is born with a finite number of fat cells. This number of fat cells does not increase in quantity during lifetime; the cells themselves can either increase or decrease in size as the individual gains or loses weight. Removing fat cells results in a permanent loss of these fat cells from the area where they were removed. A person, who is born with an unwanted fatty deposit in one or more areas of the body, which produce unattractive proportions, CAN NOT lose this type of fat by any means except for liposuction. Diet and exercise will not make these fat cells disappear.
With that in mind, liposuction is not however designed as a weight loss program. S0 who is a candidate?
Any person who has one or more areas of fat collection, which are out of proportion to the rest of the body, should make a good candidate for a liposuction New York procedure.
What are the most common areas treated by liposuction?
In women these areas are usually: the flank rolls (love handles that roll over the waist band of the skirt and pants), abdomen, hip rolls, saddle bags, inner thigh rolls or the inner knee bulges, neck/chin area, calves, ankles “cankles”, the back of the upper arms and the back rolls, axillary rolls (area under the arms, front and back) and lastly the Buffalo hump in the back of the neck.
In men, the most common areas in need of liposuction include: the flanks (love handles), abdomen and male breasts (Gynecomastia), as well as the chin/neck area.
“Buffalo humps” (area below the back of the neck) occur in both sexes and are successfully corrected by liposuction.
There are many forms of anesthesia used in Liposuction, with Tumescent Anesthesia being the safest and most popular technique in Dr. Grossman’s opinion. In this procedure a dilute anesthetic solution is added to the area where fat is being removed, this is in turn allows the procedure to be performed either under light twilight (IV Sedation), Pro-Nox (laughing gas) or local anesthesia only.
There are many techniques used today to remove fat.
Internal Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction or HD Liposuction (Dr. Grossman was one of the first Plastic Surgeons in the USA to use this technology since 1995). External Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction (found by New York plastic surgeon Dr. Grossman to be basically ineffective). Power Assisted Liposuction (PAL) with Micro Cannula removes the fatigue factor on the surgeon’s part and provides the most precision with excellent control to the physician using it. Laser Assisted Liposuction (Smart Lipo, Smooth Lipo and Slim Lipo) fell out of favor with New York liposuction surgeon Dr. Grossman, because it’s extremely slow, results appear to be frequently unfinished and unpredictable, plus the very high rate of post-op complications that are seen with this approach made this procedure unappealing.
Dr. Grossman’s proprietary approach to lipo, which he calls The Smarter Liposuction, is simple:
1. Do not use general anesthesia, which is associated the increased risks like nausea and vomiting, hypothermia and deep vein thrombosis.
Our patients do not have post-operative nausea or vomiting. Majority of our patients can go home just minutes after they leave the operating room.
2. Keep the operating room warm, not hospital cold, in fact our operating room is frequently above 85* Fahrenheit. This makes the patients much more comfortable, there is no shivering and the dangerous effect of hypothermia is completely removed from the picture.
3. Make minimal number of incisions for access and make incisions as small as possible (no suturing is ever required).
4. Create as much symmetry as the individual anatomy allows.
5. Finish the process with the patient standing in front of a mirror if needed before the patient is discharged. Liposuction plastic surgeon Dr. Grossman is considered to be the Inventor of Standing Liposuction. This process allows you the patient to control the desired outcome with absolutely minimal discomfort. This approach also reduces the need for corrective surgery, because we are NOT finished until you tell us that you have achieved your goal.
6. Eliminate the need for compression garments. New York cosmetic surgeon Dr. Grossman does not use pressure garments since these can cause indents and uneven results and do not allow the skin to shrink naturally. Pressure garments can also cause a lot of discomfort, permanent pressure scars and even skin necrosis.
7. Eliminate or decrease the possibility of post-operative bruising and swelling. If you don’t bruise, you don’t swell or swell minimally. If you don’t bruise you don’t hurt in the area of surgery. Our patients don’t have any bruising 95% of the time.
8. Let the patients resume normal or near normal life style immediately after surgery (our patients can shower right away and go out for lunch or dinner the day of surgery if they desire).
To recap: Dr. Grossman’s liposuction patients do not have any stitches, they do not have to wear any pressure garments, greater than 95% of the time patients have no bruising, they can go to work the very next day or even the same day, go to the gym in three days and be on the beach in about one week and that’s with swimming in open water.
Postoperative discomfort is minimal and rarely requires anything more than a Tylenol or Motrin.
Price of Liposuction varies according to the area of liposuction that needs to be addressed as well as the volume of the procedure and the delicate nature of the procedure. Patient’s medical history and condition are important in the decision making process, since the patients’ safety is of paramount importance.
The patient must know that our price of liposuction includes the surgeon’s fee, price of anesthesia, operating facility and ancillary staff fee and all the needed follow up exams.
When shopping for the best deal in town keep these facts in mind and also be ware that having the least expensive surgeon operate on you may eventually cost you so much more in the future.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE: IN NEW YORK STATE, ANY, EVEN UNTRAINED PHYSICIANS CAN LEGALLY PERFORM SURGERY IN THEIR OFFICE. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR DOCTOR IS A QUALIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON WITH YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, NOT SOME ONE WHO TOOK A WEEKEND COURSE OF LECTURES ON HOW TO PERFORM A SURGICAL PROCEDURE. ASK YOUR PHYSICIAN TO PRODUCE DOCUMENTS THAT HE OR SHE HAS COMPLETED TWO TO THREE YEARS OF PLASTIC SURGERY TRAINING AT AN ACCREDITED RESIDENCY PROGRAM.
Corrective procedures are much more expensive, than the first time well performed surgery.
Your goal as the patient is to make the right choice and have the surgery you have always wanted done right the very first time.
To schedule your consultation with Brooklyn liposuction Doctor Leonard Grossman please call 212-585-2133 or 718-934-5500